House of Falkland

The House of Falkland in Fife is a William Burn designed house built between 1839 and 44 for Onesiphorus Tyndall-Bruce and his wife. In the Jacobean style with some Scottish architectural details, it appears that much of the detailing was actually left to Burn's then assistant, David Bryce, who had made a particular study of Jacobean and Elizabethan detailing. Bryce went on to re-fortify Blair Castle later in his career, it is nice to be "working with him" again! In 1887 the house was bought by the 3rd Marquess of Bute who employed first William Frame and later Robert Weir Schulz to make alterations, these are almost exclusively internal and Schulz's interiors are, according to Gavin Stamp1 "some of the most imaginative and unusual interiors in any country house in Britain"

A team lead by JGA has been appointed by the Falkland Centre for Stewardship to carry out a Historic Scotland funded Maintenance Plan and then carry this work on with a Condition Survey of the whole exterior fabric. Both are now complete, including making the first full set of CAD drawings for the house to ease management. Further stages of work making the repairs and improvements that the building are now needed. The fabric has survived the intervening 170 years quite incredibly well, much of the slating and leadwork is original, without major repairs in the intervening years and, was of a very fine quality. However, the fabric is now well past its lifespan and the issues that will face the design team will be how to make such major repairs when the primary roof material, the slate from the west coast of Scotland, is no longer available and how best to prioritise the work needed.

(1. Country Life magazine 31st December 2014)

Design Team

Architects: JGA
Quantity Surveyor: Ralph Ogg and Partners
Structural Engineers: Elliott & Co
Mechanical and electrical Engineers: Irons Foulner

<< Return to Projects Page